Are You Allergic or Intolerant?

RSS
Are You Allergic or Intolerant?

Have you ever eaten something that resulted in skin swelling, difficulty breathing or worse, high fever? What might be the cause? Is it intolerance or allergy? While the symptoms may be similar in most ways, you can conclude that it is intolerance if it just upset your body and it goes away quickly. However, if it is an allergy, it could have a life-threatening effect.

Difference Between Intolerance and Allergy 

via GIPHY

If you are intolerant to a certain food, it will affect your digestive system and could cause an upset stomach. With food allergy, the immune system is likely the culprit, as it immediately reacts to certain ingredients or components of a particular food, identifying it as foreign substance. When it does, it causes symptoms such as hives or fever, and sometimes even followed by a more serious illness if left untreated.
 

Intolerance is often genetic while allergy is often hereditary. Genetic and hereditary are not the same thing. According to an article in kelseygroup.com, The most crucial difference between the two terms is that a hereditary disease can be passed on from one generation to another. A genetic disease, on the other hand, may or may not be hereditary, but it is always a result of a change in an organism's genome.”

Diagnosis and Cure 

A medical representative can perform a skin test to assess what kind of allergen you are allergic to. If you have intolerance, then he might ask you several questions and instruct you to make a food diary to control what kind of food you should be eating each day. For both, the best way to avoid a flare-up is prevention. Know what food you are allergic to and try to avoid it. You cannot be too careless especially when you have allergies, as any type, whether it’s food or contact allergies, can cause anaphylaxis, which is a life-threatening symptom. You may also consult a doctor for over-the-counter medications for emergency cases.

 

 

Being intolerant to certain foods should not prevent you from eating healthy. You can still eat that certain food in a small amount. However, that is not the case with food allergies. You need to remove it on your plate, because one small piece could cause a rash, which can be uncomfortable, and in severe cases, could even cause death. As such, we can conclude that whether it is intolerance or allergy still we need to monitor everything that’s being consumed. Monitoring your own health is also a huge help to spread health or allergy awareness as it will also reflect self-love. 

Have you got any stories to tell about surviving food intolerance and food allergy? Share them now!

Previous Post Next Post

  • Admin Cottonique
Comments 0
Leave a comment
Your Name:*
Email Address:*
Message: *
* Required Fields