How to Solve Skin Allergy Problems
Skin conditions like bumps, itchiness, rashes, and redness are very common and they may be symptoms of allergy. With the help of allergy tests, your doctor can identify if such reactions are indeed caused by allergens.
Eczema and hives are two of the most common skin rashes.
Atopic dermatitis (Eczema) is the most common skin condition, especially in children. Atopic dermatitis exhibits dry, red, irritated, and itchy skin.
Hives (urticaria), on the other hand, are red bumps or welts caused by inflammation of the skin. Hives are acute if it lasts for less than six weeks, and chronic if beyond.
Allergic contact dermatitis occurs when the skin comes in contact directly with an irritant or allergen. Symptoms can include rashes, blisters, itching, and burning.
Latex allergy is from repeated exposure to latex products such as medical gloves, elastics, or balloons. Latex allergy exhibits symptoms such as hives, itchiness, and runny nose.
However, these skin allergy symptoms can be solved and managed with the help of your allergist.
Here are some ways to solve and manage skin allergy problems:
- Avoid contact with what’s triggering your symptoms.
- Use moisturizers and topical corticosteroids creams or ointments to reduce inflammation
- Use antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor for bacterial skin infections
- Take oral antihistamines to relieve itchiness
- A cold compress or a cool shower can mitigate rashes. Moisturize afterwards for better relief.
- Applying Colloidal oatmeal can calm inflamed skin. However, some people may have sensitivities to oatmeal so it is best to consult your doctor before doing this.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing. It is also highly recommended to wear hypoallergenic apparel for better comfort. In some severe cases, damp dressing may also be employed.
- Avoid clothing and accessories with latex component.
- For severe cases, Phototherapy may be a treatment option.
- Admin Cottonique